Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 1 - Underway



Earthship Le Van Gogh Diary






09.02.09
0500
Conditions: 59.6° F; Humidity: 98%; Wind: Easterly, Calm; Visibility: 10 miles
Mooring: KOA Port Angeles, WA
Captain Lea reporting.

All systems checked, supplies secured for sea (mostly), ship’s crew has been fed and are manning their underway positions. So, OK, they're not that big of a help, especially as First Mate and Navigator, but at least they're in position. The Bendy Men are still asleep, the lazy dogs.

If you think I’m posting a picture of me before I’ve finished my coffee, you’re going to be waiting a long time. I’m not that sleepy.

Ok, enough of that Navy talk.

I think I completed everything I wanted to before I left. I didn’t get to see everyone that I wanted to but that’s OK. I’ll keep in touch with the blog and I’m not really saying good by anyway. Until we meet again is more like it and we‘ll continue to chat via the blog, email, etc.

First destination today is a Wal-Mart in the general vicinity of Seattle. It won’t take too long to get there, about 2 ½ hours with a ferry ride on the route. At this time of day I’ll be heading into rush hour, but I’m going to take my time and maybe the worst will be out of the way before I finally head out. Perhaps. Since I don’t know how many hours I can tolerate driving, I made my first stop a very modest distance. Still, anyone who has driven in rush hour traffic in any large city knows that by the time you get to your destination, you’re ready to take a nap. I’ll be ready, I know that. Besides, I want time to do a walkabout, take pictures, chat with people, etc, and even give the kitties a walk (drag) on their leashes and harnesses. This is why I’m taking a month to get to Georgia. That and if the leaves are starting to change their colors up here, maybe by the time I get there the leaves will be starting to change in the northern neck of the woods of Blairsville.

The past few days have been a huge learning curve for me. I spent three nights in the back of my sister, Denise, and brother-in-law, Gene’s, house (thank you, thank you!!) and there I learned how to work the various systems in the van. I also got to figure out which items were still not secured for sea and would topple down during the first curve. In fact, there have been so many things to learn that I’ve made a list and I’ll add to it every day I post. This first post will have many, believe me, and it won't be complete. But in theory the list concerning the van will grow shorter and lessons of life will begin to dominate. That’s my hope, at any rate.

Lessons Learned:

That I need to buy an RV repair manual for very, very minor repairs. A mechanic I’m not.

That I’m in totally in love with my lumbar support. It gives off heat and massages me while I drive.

That Fluffbutt and Chopper need a whole lot of attention right now.

That if I am careful I have three days worth of water in my fresh water tank.

That I have all the water I need but not all that I want.

That Miss Charmagne GPS Unit doesn’t always know what she’s talking about.

That draining the black water tank is as much fun as I was led to believe.

That if I lay down to rest in any position, side, back or tummy, Chopper and Fluffbutt compete to see who can perch on top of me first.

That Fluffbutt weighs a ton.

That I‘m always forgetting to make sure everything is secure before I drive off.

That there’s something in one of the cabinets rattling around and I can’t figure out what it is and it‘s driving me buggy.

That when it’s time to go beddy bye I can set the furnace temperature to keep Chopper and I cozy in the back of the van while Fluffbutt stays cool in the front.

That it took me 15 minutes of investigation of a possible water drip before I figured out that it was the ticking of my windup alarm clock.

That I really suck at backing up a van.

That I should always request a pull-through space in an RV campground.

That Fluffbutt’s night vision makes her as good as a dog in letting me know there’s something moving outside.

That Fluffbutt doesn’t bark so unless I see her react I still have no idea that there‘s something out there.

That there’s nothing out there. Fluffbutt reacts to a leaf falling.

That I need to remember to duck when I climb in the side door.

That’s there’s a minor water leak under the sink but I can’t figure out where it’s leaking from and this is also driving me buggy.

That when I’m too tired to make French press coffee, Folger’s coffee bags with extremely hot water is better than nothing.

Not much better, mind you, but a little better.

That I devoutly hope my new license plate arrives today in Denise and Gene’s mail.

That they arrive not too long after I depart so Denise can forward them to Sharon’s.

That no matter how long a list I make there is always something else to add to it.

That I will forget to do something on the list even though it’s sitting on the console right beside me where I can see it.

That eventually I will remember to do it even though it might be a little late in getting done.

That sometimes it’s not a bad thing to have an anal retentive, OCD, picayunish, methodical, organized and list-making personality.

That my refrigerator keeps things nice and frozen when I'm plugged in electrically but doesn’t work very well at all when switched to 12V.

That I need to buy some ice.

That claustrophobia has no business going along on any trip in this van and has been booted out unceremoniously.

And finally:

That a wonderful sense of adventure, willingness to embrace the day and all it brings and a well developed sense of humor are crucial to making my trip as fantastic as I plan on it to be.

Until later…

5 comments:

  1. Bon Voyage; looks like you have everything secure and in order. Don't underestimate the cats. They will settle in soon and always warn you when something suspicious is going on outside. Watch for that perched head.. and they will then run for cover. Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small part of me would love to do what you are doing. A much larger part says, "No way, Jose. It's much easier to read about Lea's adventures."
    So keep up the log. I am loving it.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MY GOD!...woman...I had no idea you were getting the gypsy-itch again. :-) I'm with you in spirit but wishin I was "on-the-road-again"! Take plenty of pics...Don't trust the harnesses/leashes you put your cats into...All cats are escape artists at heart. Did you microchip them!!!!???? Oh you really caught me by surprise! I'm so excited for you that "my mouth runnith over". Be careful :-) Love you kid... ~sheree~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic list! Looking forward to your continuing adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! So far, so good, and it's fun writing about each day. And fear not, the kitties are microchipped and their harnesses snug, though you're right, the little nippers can be sneaky. I'll keep a sharp eye out for them, however.

    Glad to be touring for all of you!

    ReplyDelete