Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day...I fergit. I just know I was in West Virginia yesterday and Virginia today.

Almost heaven, West Virginia...thank you, John Denver. He was right - it is extremely heavenly in this neck of the woods. And friend Jeanne and her husband, Art, live in an especially beautiful area way out in the country. The photos don't do justice to the reality but I can try.

I reached Jeanne's place the day before yesterday and she had an addition on her house set up to be an independent mommy-in-law kind of place. It was large, luxurious and even came with a HUGE HDTV. Not that there was much on, frankly, but it was a kind thought. The kitties enjoyed roaming around in an area bigger than a very small kitchen and I enjoyed a wonderful shower and the company. What fun!

Jeanne and her husband have quite a bit (at least, to me) livestock, including cows, a bull, many chickens, guinea hens, two momma and three baby goats and a pig. We walked around and I was introduced to all the birds and animals, many of who either ignored me, tried lick my hand off, or ran from my presence. Jeanne held up the Bendy Men so they could meet Bunny, one of the mommy goats. The other mommy goat was called "Cleomie." Isn't that a very feminine name?

I took many pictures though only a few will show up here. More will be posted on Facebook, natch.

I was in bed early being a wee bit pooped and the next morning we headed into Princeton (sp?) for a meander through the fun and interesting stores there. There were lots of wonderful businesses there including a used bookstore, without which I cannot exist, and many galleries with some wildly original artwork. I wish I could have taken photos inside the galleries, but I don't think the owners would have appreciated that. I did ask for their business cards whenever I saw artwork I really enjoyed so I could go to their website and peruse some more.

We stopped inside a restaurant for lunch and began seeing folks wandering by the window where we sat who were dressed up in Civil War costumes. Apparently there was going to be a reenactment this coming weekend in Lewisburg, WV, and these actors were drumming up awareness of this annual event. Although I love history I've never been a big Civil War buff - my interests are in other times and places - so I wasn't familiar with this battle. A brochure brought me up to speed quickly, however.

In the early morning of May 23, 18;62, Lewisburg was rudely awakened by the extremely loud noise of artillery and musketry. Apparently at this unlikely spot the Union and Confederate soldiers stumbled upon each other and engaged in an intense but mercifully brief encounter. The Confederate soldiers were overrun and defeated with 80 soldiers dead on the field, 100 wounded (not sure how many died from their wounds) and 157 taken prisoner. Oops. The Union recovered 300 stands of small arms, 25 horses and four artillery pieces. They only had 13 killed and 53 wounded with seven missing. Interesting.

Colonel Crook, the Union leader, was apparently very kind towards the citizens of Lewisburg since he only burned down one house that had held a sniper. But he wouldn't let the the townspeople bury their dead and the brochure doesn't say why. Instead the fallen soldiers were laid out in the Old Stone Church and then placed in a trench in the churchyard without any ceremony. After the war these remains were removed from the churchyard and interred in the cross-shaped mass grave in the present Confederate Cemetery there. The Union dead now rest in the National Cemetery in Staunton, Virginia, though they had been dumped, I mean, buried on an unidentified hill north of town. I guess that was the best they could do at the time since they were on the march at the time.

Anyway, that's the story of Lewisburg's brief involvement with the Civil War. They came out pretty darned good compared to a lot of places. One burned house isn't so bad, though 80 dead soldiers isn't something to shout about.

Oh, back to the Civil War reenactors. One group passing by saw me in the window and were kind enough to pose for me. Then they came in to the same restaurant where Jeanne and I were and sat down for lunch at a nearby table. We watched the two ladies in the party maneuver around with their hoops and I thought they did quite well. I probably would have tripped on the dratted things and had them fly up in my face if I'd tried them on. :-D

We ended our day with dinner at Ryan's and I was in bed early again. This morning I reluctantly packed up the van and bid Jeanne and Art goodby. Still, I was heading to yet more friends who didn't live very far away at all, so I wasn't too sad to head up the road. I'll be back, Jeanne and Art, just you wait and see!

Lessons Learned:

Some of Jeanne's chickens lay green eggs. 'Tis true! They're beautiful! You don't even have to die them for Easter.

Jeanne has a separate flock of chickens that are a frothy white and had long feathers and, of course, I've forgotten their breed is called already. But one of them is called a 'frizzled' chicken, still a part of this breed, and amazingly folks really do breed for this trait. The chicken looks like it either has a bad perm or it stuck it's beak in an electric socket. Darndest thing I ever saw. Compared to it's sisters, it doesn't seem quite so lovely to me, but what do I know?

Observations:

One of Jeanne's cows was 'ready to be bred,' to put it politely, and both Jeanne's bull and the bull across the street were crying out their love in earnest and very loudly. Of course Jeanne's bull was the one that took care of the afflicted lady but the bull across the street kept up his love songs until the sun was down. Sad to see unrequited love, even in the country.

On my way out from Jeanne's place I almost ran over a nice black snake. As soon as it saw me coming it sped up and scurried across but it had nothing to fear from me. I love snakes and I would never run one over or beat it with a stick like the evil woman in Wizard of Id. Poor snakes...

Tomorrow will be from friend John and Marquita's place in Blacksburg, Virginia. Just as lovely a place and they live up on a hill with lots of hayfields behind them. But that's for another day. 'Nite, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment