Monday, May 17, 2010

Make all preparations for getting underway, Part II

Yes, it is time to pack up and travel the U.S. again. My dear friend, Sharon, died a few weeks ago and I was so glad to be there with her and holding her hand as she passed. And now her departure means it's time for me to move on to other adventures, so let the packing begin!

The van has been through a review with normal repairs made and it's fine. I did cover almost all of the carpet in the van with a thin plastic carpet cover - after thirty days of intense driving to get here, the carpet that wasn't covered was pretty filthy and I had to have the van detailed. I'm certain I'll have to have it detailed again when I get back with two kitties and myself. We all three shed and it can get quite hairy in there.

Actually, since the Butt of Fluff was, um, shaved into a Lion's cut yesterday, there might be a wee bit less of shedding around the van. Not a bad thing, actually, except for her appearance. Rawthuh embarrassing, that. See photo, which will probably damn me to cat hell for posting. Oh, well.

On the good side, she does feel much better and cooler and now likes me to pet her on her back, something she wouldn't tolerate before. On the bad side, she looks like nobody loves her. Pitiful, just pitiful.

Chopper is fine though her cough continues to concern me. Umpteen doses of antibiotics have failed to get rid of it entirely, but besides that she appears to be doing well. Let's hope that's the only problem she'll have.

Wendy and Jerri took me out to dinner tonight at a very nice restaurant where we decided to go in what we had on. I was in lounging pants, Wendy was in about the same, and Jerri looked the best in a nice shirt and jeans. We were treated kindly and I feasted on duck and other goodies. This restaurant/hotel was on a golf course and the view on the covered deck where we ate was fantastic! There was also a nice breeze so it was very cool and pleasant. We ended our meal with creme brule' and banana's foster, and we had to be carried out by the time we were finished. Needless to say, most of my dinner came home in a carry-out box. (Note to self - DON'T forget it!!)

I depart for Asheville, North Carolina tomorrow where I will be stopping to see the Biltmore estate and gardens. Wendy and Jerri urged me to go because it's beautiful, so I made a reservation with a KOA and will spend part of tomorrow wandering around shooting terrible pictures of lots of flowers. Yeah! The inside of the mansion will be available for touring also - should be fun!

Early to bed tonight. I'm pooped, the kitties are pooped, and I'm leaving when I get up, probably around 7:00 am or so.

Lessons learned:

The holding tank for the water isn't always as truthful as it should be.

I think I have way too many clothes now even after packing as much as possible in the storage areas. And I doubt I'll wear half of it on this trip. You'd think I'd learn by now.

Observations:

Nothing fell when I drove the van to the grocery store to stock up on edibles. Let us pray that this continues and that I've truly secured for sea.

5 comments:

  1. kan't wait to see yer "terrible pictures" of lotsa flowers! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bon Voyage! Hope it is all great!
    Janey

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for the loss of your friend, but it does sound like it was time. It is great that you were able to be there with her. You are a true friend.
    Now, get out there and have fun!
    love, Nora

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely first stop. Can't wait to see the pics. I've only been there at night for the Christmas Candlelight tour. It was very beautiful and romantic, but of course the grounds are half of the fun so I'll be going back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for everyone's comments and though my body was too pooped to hit the Biltmore today, hopefully my energy will be up for more tomorrow! In the meantime, you must content yourself with pictures of roadside fields of poppies and wildflowers and scenic views. They aren't terrible photos, I suppose, but they aren't the best I've done. Still, there they are. :-)

    Love,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete